Sunday, April 17, 2011

My little, big boy



I can't believe that Andrew is 2 years old. I mean, I literally can't believe it! How is it that I have shared two wonderful years with this little blessing? How come it still feels like he should be my "baby" in arms? How has he learned so much and come so far in such a short amount of time? I guess it's like the saying goes...time flies when you are having fun!
Here are some of the things I love about my 2 year old:
1. I absolutely love his fascination with hands. If you give him a paci, he demands a hand on some part of his skin and then stares lovingly into your eyes while he works that paci! It is the sweetest, cutest quirk!
2. I love how he says "uh huh" instead of repeating what we are trying to get him to say to us. For example: Me: "Andrew, say more milk please, Mama." Andrew: "uh huh" and then looks at you funny if you don't adhere to his request.
3. I love how he idolizes Will. If Will loves cars, Andrew loves cars. If Will wants to sleep with his baseball glove, Andrew wants to sleep with his glove.
4. I love how he experiences food. I mean, head to toe!
5. I love how he hugs my legs while I am washing dishes at the sink.
6. I love how he tries to "help" load the dryer.
7. I love how he requests that I hold him in order for him to fall asleep at naptime every day. I am (almost) always happy to oblige.
8. I love how he does a dance and shouts "Dada, Dada" when Dan pulls into the driveway each night.
9. I love how he dances to "All I Do is Win."
10. I love how Andrew takes his sweet time to go from any one place to another. He takes his time to inspect every blade of grass, every sound, every car tire we pass. (Okay, if I'm being honest, I don't always appreciate this. It is sometimes hard to have the patience to deal with his curiosity, especially since I am constantly rushing from one place to another.)
11. I love the way he runs with his arms dangling out to his side.
12. I love the way he talks. He has an adorable Southern twang.
13. I love how easy going he is. It is a rare occasion that Andrew cries without good reason or has a bad day.
14. I love how every day with Andrew, I feel like I get to know him better. He can be pretty introverted so we don't always know everything he is thinking or feeling.
15. At last but certainly not least, I love his ability to love. He is a kind, warm, loving human being who willingly shares his love with those close to him. I am proud to be mommy to such a special little person.

After writing about all of these wonderful things that I have experienced with Andrew, I realize just how lucky I am to be able to share every day with him and Will. Being a stay-at-home mom is a gift and I truly view it as such. I have been given the gift of seeing my children develop new skills, interact with their friends or siblings, and being there to comfort or hold them whenever they need or want me to do so. There are certainly days when I feel like pulling my hair out and would do anything to have some adult conversation, but 9 days out of 10, this is exactly where I want to be. And if the speed of the past two years going by is any indication, I know that the time will come all too quickly that they will be off to school, out with friends without me along, and, eventually, out of our house altogether. So, I will cherish these years and continue to thank God for all our blessings!

4 comments:

Kelly Aldridge said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Andrew! We love and miss you big boy!

Nonnie said...

Andrew, you are a precious gift from heaven! Happy Birthday, Big Boy!

Aunt Tam said...

Happy Happy Birthday Andrew!! Uncle Randy and I love you so much!! Hope you got your card in the mail from us!!

April Rocconi said...

That is so sweet and he is such a sweet boy!